The Murray riding lawn mower, like many of those made by US lawn tractor manufacturers, comes with a long manufacturing and engineering history behind it.
The company started by making automobile parts just after the first world war. The focus subsequently turned to bicycles and then lawn and garden equipment.
The brand is now owned by engine manufacturer Briggs and Stratton, which also owns the Simplicity and Snapper brands.
For a long time, no new Murray lawn tractors were available in the USA, but recently a new range of keenly priced Murray lawn tractors, plus a zero turn mower was introduced.
This range comnprises:
- the M1338, which has a 12.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine and a 38 inch cutting deck
- the M1642, with a 15.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine and a 42 inch cutting deck
- the M2046, with a 19.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine and a 46 inch cutting deck
- the MZ2142 zero turn model, with a 21 horsepower Briggs and Stratton Intek engine and a 46 inch cutting deck.
UK and European Models
Now we turn to the models that are available in the UK and elsewhere.
Generally, these are reasonably priced machines without too many frills, but well designed, solidly built and easy to maintain. They are powered by a range of Briggs and Stratton engines and are known for reliability and ease of use. You can even order one online.
The Murray riding mowers RM50 is known as a ‘mid-engine rider’. It is an economical machine for the more straightforward landscape and one of the leading Murray riding lawn mowers.
Rear Discharge Lawn Tractors
Catchily named the 312006X5 (or sometimes the 312008X51), these rear discharge Murray lawn tractors are ready made for dealing with the wetter, lusher grasses of the UK, Ireland and Northern Europe. Consider this most European of Murray lawn tractors and find out about the benefits of a rear discharge model.
Side Discharge Lawn Tractors
These more traditional side-discharge models come in specifications to suit most residential landscapes, with engine sizes from 12.5Hp to 20Hp and cutting decks in widths from 38 inches to 46 inches (96.5cm to 117cm)
- The 12.5 Hp, 38 inch deck (12.5/38) Murray garden tractor;
- The 17 Hp, 42 inch deck (17/42) Murray riding mower / garden tractor.
We also look at the the top of the range models. Check out these links for our reviews of:
- the 17.5 Hp, 46 inch (17.4/46) Murray garden tractors; and
- the 20 Hp, 46 inch (20/46) Murray lawn garden tractors.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page…
Murray Riders – A Yank’s take
I have owned and used a Murray Select 17hp/42″cut rider for over 10 years. Lawn is about 3/4 acre in size and takes about 45 minutes to cut. First …
I bought mower in Oct 2010 and have had trouble with the rubber pulleys driving the blades. The pulley slips off regularly and though I have had the machine …