This Craftsman 17.5 hp 42 inch Shift-On-The-Go Lawn Tractor is a budget model offering a lot of handy features, without breaking the bank.
Features at a glance
- 17.5 hp OHV Briggs and Stratton Silver Series engine;
- Suitable for areas up to around 2 acres;
- 7-Speed ‘Shift-On-The-Go’ transmission, so you don’t have to stop just to adjust the speed;
- 42 inch deck that can be adjusted to 5 different heights, ranging from 1.5 inches to 4 inches;
- Forward speeds from 0 to 5.5 mph and reverse speed of 2.8 mph;
- Turning radius of 18 inches allows you to work around most obstacles.
- Color – gray with black flashings;
- Low seat back offering single point adjustment;
- Ergonomic steering wheel for comfort and safety;
- Tires of 15 inches x 6 inches on the front and 20 inches x 8 inches on the rear;
- Steel axels and frame of 13 gauge welded steel.
The overhead valve, 17.5 Hp engine on this Craftsman has a single cylinder with a displacement of 500cc and is built to last by Briggs and Stratton.
It is air cooled (with fan), has a splash lubrication system and paper air filter.
The transmission is a manual gear type, with seven forward speeds and one reverse speed. The shifter is located on the fender for convenience and ease of use. This tractor can hold 1.5 gallons in its fuel tank.
The cutting system
The Craftsman 17.5 hp 42 inch Shift-On-The-Go Lawn Tractor features two cutting blades on a floating deck. The deck is adjusted manually using a single lever. There are five different cutting heights, ranging from one and a half inches up to four inches.
It can automatically mulch the clippings, or they can be discharged through the side. The cutting width is 42 inches.
Attachments and Accessories
This lawn tractor can be fitted with a 2 bin bagger for clippings, as well as a mulch kit. In addition, it can accepts a snow blade or snow thrower, enabling you to put it to good use through the winter if you live in an area that sees a lot of snow. One feature that always appeals to users is cup holder, so you won’t get dehydrated while tending to the yard.
Craftsman stands behind its tractors and mowers with solid warranties. The Craftsman 17.5 hp 42 inch Shift-On-The-Go Lawn Tractor comes with a standard two year warranty, as well as a 5 year warranty on the frame and front axle.
Reviewers at Craftsman.com give this tractor a 3 and a half star rating, based on 44 reviews. One common complaint is that it does not include deck wheels, to help keep the deck level aso as to mow the grass evenly. On the other hand, most reviewers were pleased with the price, love the power and have found it to be extremely reliable. Another complaint is that it is on the small size, especially for a larger man. However, reviewers did find that it could stand up to rugged terrain, as well as grass that hadn’t met a mower in several weeks.
Overall, the Craftsman 17.5 hp 42 inch Shift-On-The-Go Lawn Tractor is a good budget riding lawn mower that will suit you if you have up to 2 acres of relatively unchallenging terrain and you are not looking for a machine to do much more than mow, clear some snow and do a bit of light hauling. Click here to purchase from Sears.com.
- the Craftsman lawn tractor overview page;
- the Lawn Tractor Buyers Guide, lawn tractor reviews, main Home Page;
- the Lawn Tractor Buyers Guide Toolshed Home Page .